This 100-mile run challenge for Operation Underground Railroad wasn’t quite the same as Fit2Fat2Fit which was more of a long-term physical, traumatic experience but it was also emotional and mental which was my biggest takeaway from it. I’ve also done other smaller experiments here and there but this 100-mile run was 24 hours of suffering for the greater good. Sometimes that’s what it takes to raise the human consciousness and realize that it’s time to change. And that one thing is something crazy that catches their attention and creates greater awareness but also motivates them to take action. – Drew Manning
How can you help bring awareness to an important cause that’s close to your heart?
—> Join the Wellness Warrior VIP Club: get exclusive discounts on new wellness tools, be first in line for new podcasts, get access to invite-only events, and so much more.**
—> Get The Morning 21: A powerful (and free) system designed to give you more energy, let go of old weight, and live life well.
Wellness Force Radio Episode 291
Wellness Icon, Host of the Fit2Fat2Fit Experience Podcast, Co-Host of the Single Daddy Daily Podcast, Author of the latest book, Complete Keto, and NY Times Best Selling Author of Fit2Fat2Fit , Drew Manning, returns to share why he ran 100 miles for Operation Underground Railroad and the lessons he learned along the way, how to live an authentic life for yourself instead of other people, the power of creating your own struggles in life by setting the bar high, and how to challenge yourself from a place of self-love rather than self-hate.
Operation Underground Railroad
SINCE BEING FOUNDED IN DECEMBER 2013, Operation Underground Railroad gathered the world’s experts in extraction operations and in anti-child trafficking efforts to bring an end to child slavery. O.U.R.’s Underground Jump Team consists of former CIA, Navy SEALs, and Special Ops operatives that lead coordinated identification and extraction efforts. These operations are always in conjunction with law enforcement throughout the world.
Once victims are rescued, a comprehensive process involving justice for the perpetrators and recovery and rehabilitation for the survivors begins.
It is time for private citizens and organizations to rise up and help. It is our duty as free and blessed people.
O.U.R. salutes our nation’s law enforcement officers and prosecutors at the federal, state and local levels who protect our country’s children. Law enforcement professionals skillfully investigate, arrest and prosecute those who violate children. Our nation’s police efforts to protect children in the U.S. are light years ahead of many, if not all other countries. O.U.R. acknowledges the expertise and extraordinary work done by these dedicated men and women who bravely battle the scourge of child sexual exploitation.
We share the mission to save children and seek justice for those who victimize them, therefore O.U.R. is committed to enhancing law enforcement efforts by providing resources where budget shortfalls prohibit child pornography, child exploitation or human trafficking operation from going forward. O.U.R. will also provide or facilitate child exploitation investigative training in U.S. jurisdictions where a need exists. Collaborating with law enforcement will reduce duplication, promote best practices and avoid other potential issues which might arise without close coordination.
O.U.R. is privileged and honored to support our nation’s heroes in this important cause to deter, disrupt and dismantle child exploitation and the trafficking of children in our nation’s communities.
Complete Keto by Drew Manning
“Complete Keto is the go-to guide for understanding all the basics of keto.” — Liana Werner-Gray, best-selling author of The Earth Diet
A ketogenic diet can kick-start incredible weight loss, cut through brain fog, boost your energy, and even relieve some health conditions by reducing inflammation throughout your body. It can also be difficult to stick with once the two, three, or four weeks of a program are up. Lifestyle changes just aren’t sustainable if you don’t have the right support.
This is where health and fitness expert Drew Manning comes in–with a solution that goes way beyond willpower. Complete Keto offers a total ketogenic lifestyle reset that’s based on a deep understanding of the challenges in living keto, as well as the benefits it brings and the science that makes it work. You’ll find:
- All the nuts and bolts of keto, including what to eat, what to avoid, and how to adapt the plan if you’re vegan or vegetarian
- Drew’s signature 30-Day Keto Cleanse to jump-start your journey
- A second-phase plan for living keto long-term
- More than 75 delicious recipes for eating keto, illustrated with mouthwatering photos
- Easy-to-follow exercise routines
Changing your lifestyle can be hard no matter what diet you choose, but this authoritative, engaging book brings true transformation with keto within your reach. It’s keto for life–your life.
Listen To Episode 291 As Drew Manning Uncovers:
- Why he attempted to run 100 miles with his brother to do a challenge for his 40th birthday and in support of Operation Underground Railroad.
- The fact that sometimes it takes us to do something crazy or different to raise awareness in our society.
- How he was misguided as a child to thinking that suffering was part of his self-worth and being a better person.
Living an authentic life for yourself rather than acting a certain way or enduring obstacles for others.
Why he puts himself through challenges like running 100 miles or Fit2Fat2Fat from a place of self-love rather than self-hate.
The benefit of creating your own struggles and challenges to work through so that you can be resistant when the unexpected comes your way.
Why doing the same types of workouts and routine actually leads him to experience burn out and go through the motions.
The challenge of losing weight, getting in shape, and loving when your body when you’re unhappy in the first place.
How telling the public about his goal to run 100 miles actually helped motivate and hold himself accountable to his goal.
Why he specifically chose Operation Underground Railroad to help raise money for them with his 100-mile run.
- How we can make Operation Underground Railroad’s mission known throughout the USA and beyond through the power of influence and grabbing other people’s attention through action.
- His plant medicine ceremony experience at Rythmia in Costa Rica and why he didn’t feel called to it until Josh told him about it.
- The power of being empathetic, connecting, and relating to other people and their struggles.
The Benefit Of Creating Your Own Struggles
- How being vulnerable and sharing his own story of divorce, the journey of Fit2Fat2Fit, and other struggles have empowered others to share their truth from an authentic place.
- Why we so strongly believe that once we have an incredible physical body, we’ll be set for life and everything will open up for us but that’s so far from the truth.
- The importance of really digging deep down to your darker side to be able to transform your physical, mental, and spiritual self.
Old ways of being when it comes to fitness and health compared to the new narrative of not only focusing on the physical but emotional, mental, and spiritual self as well.
- The story behind his tattoo, “Vulnerability is strength,” and opening up about his divorce on his 100th podcast episode and live on stage at Powerful U.
- His mission to help other people open up about their truth, difficult situations, and emotions by sharing his own with them.
- Porn addiction in our society and the importance of starting conversations about it to normalize it and help others recover.
How culture, religion, and society shape our way of thinking about relationships, acceptance, and health from a very young age.
Connecting how we eat, move, and sleep with thoughts, feelings, and actions from a primal and biohacking approach.
The fact that it’s okay to shut off your brain from time to time by doing something you enjoy because otherwise, you’ll burn out.
How being brought up with 11 brothers and sisters impacted his relationship with his parents and the way he is now raising his daughters.
Power Quotes From The Show
Self-fulfillment From Within
“I want to bring empathy and a better understanding of the importance of mental, emotional, and spiritual transformation in the fitness industry which is obsessed with physical transformations. Being in great shape doesn’t guarantee happiness. Yes, workout programs work for physical transformation but are they bring you self-fulfillment? I’d say, no.” – Drew Manning
Motivation Through Self-Love
“When I do an event like running 100 miles, it’s coming from a place of self-love instead of self-hate. Coming from a place of self-love instead of self-hate, it’s a different type of motivation that helps me complete these challenges. Instead of hating or punishing myself, self-love allows you to create a better relationship with your body.” – Drew Manning
What It Actually Means To Be Successful
“Yes, a person’s body will change when they begin a new health program and they become less obsessed with that number going down the scale but they also become super happy with who they are, they feel better, and their perception on health, fitness, and success begins to shift. Success isn’t based on that number on the scale going down; it’s so much more than that. Success is about who you’re becoming while you’re taking that journey up the mountain.” – Drew Manning
Recover Faster: FITAID RX ZERO (Sugar Free + CREATINE)
Recovery Blend is Keto-friendly, with the same clean ingredients and essential nutrients you love in FITAID ZERO. With 1,000mg of Creatine to help you build muscle while your body recovers after intense physical activity/exercise with zero sugar. (Sweetened with Monk Fruit & Stevia)
Whether you need a sugar-free alternative to post-workout recovery with the added bonus of Creatine for your muscles, you are counting macros or you just want a Keto-friendly option that tastes great, FITAID RX ZERO is perfect for women and men. Recommend to drink an ice-cold can immediately following your next WOD, exercise or training session.
Links From Today’s Show
- 131 Drew Manning
- Operation Underground Railroad
- Episode 67 – Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins
- Super Size Me
- Complete Keto by Drew Manning
- Fit2Fat2Fit by Drew Manning
- Joe Rogan: Choose Your Struggle – Aubrey Marcus Podcast
- Jack LaLanne
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
- The Fit2Fat2Fit Experience Podcast
- Terry Crews, muscle-bound actor and Old Spice guy, reveals porn addiction
- 288 Greg Woodhill
- Tony Robbins
- 269 Live From Rythmia: Gerry Powell & Jay Brown
- Single Daddy Daily Podcast
- A&E Fit to Fat to Fit Show
- The Fit2Fat2Fit Keto Jumpstart
- Drew Manning
About Drew Manning
Health and fitness expert, Drew Manning, is the New York Times best-selling author of Fit2Fat2Fit: The Unexpected Lessons from Gaining and Losing 75 lbs on Purpose and has for years been a leading voice in the burgeoning Keto Diet movement.
Drew is also the creator of the A&E Show Fit to Fat to Fit and the host of The Fit2Fat2Fit Experience podcast. With over a million social media followers, Drew continues to transform people’s lives all around the world.
Known for his straightforward and empathetic fitness and health coaching, Drew has been featured on The Dr. Oz Show, CNN, Good Morning America, The Tonight Show, The View, and MSNBC, among other media outlets.
He lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, with his daughters, who remind him every day not to take things too seriously.