Pain is a request for change. Whenever you feel any pain, that’s your brain and body telling you that they need your full attention. – Dr. Perry Nickelston
Once you learn how to read and understand your body, it will never lie to you.
Your life is 100% unique to yourself. How you lived in the past, your life today, and your future is unlike anybody else’s. Therefore, the health choices you’ve made and the environment you live in can ultimately affect both your mind an body.
This podcast is for those of you who’ve gotten to the point where it seems like your pain will not improve and there’s no way out.
On Wellness Force episode 152, Chiropractic Physician and author of the upcoming book, Stop Chasing Pain, Dr. Perry Nickelston, DC, NKT, FMS, SFMA, has been helping people who feel lost without the hope of getting better to restore the quality of their life. He fully understands that we shouldn’t approach healing the body with the same method every time because each person lives a different life and has experienced different movements.
In fact, to heal an injury, Perry advises that we need to look as far back as 1o years to see what could have led to such pain. By the end of this episode, you will be more somatically aware of yourself and how to identify the toxic environments, thoughts, and poor habits that are causing you pain.
Stop Chasing Pain by Dr. Perry Nickelston
Dr. Perry Nickelston’s upcoming book, Stop Chasing Pain empowers readers to take back control of their lives from pain?to get over their fear of movement and regain a connection with their bodies. Movement is brain candy and neural nitro for the whole body. Change how you move and you change your life!
The human body is designed to move. Today’s sedentary lifestyles and cookie-cutter exercise programs make us more prone to pain and injury. The answer lies in going back to how we learned to move in the first place, taking the body back to ground zero and tapping into fundamental human movement patterns. Full-body movements that integrate our muscular subsystems gives us strength, power, flexibility, timing, and coordination.
Stop Chasing Pain begins with a fundamental pattern assessment to help readers see where they fall on the movement scale and how much stability they need to regain. Then it explains how to use the RAIL Reset system (Release, Activate, Integrate, Locomotion) to regress movement and progress strength. Mobility restrictions and pain are linked to dysfunction in the five movement subsystems: intrinsics, posterior oblique, anterior oblique, lateral, and deep longitudinal. Without these we don’t move. Dr. Perry shows readers how to release them with rollers, balls, and bands; activate them with Chapman Reflex points; integrate with Powerhouse stretching and Primal Movement Chains fundamental patterns; and then stand up and move (locomotion).
Listen To Episode 152 As Perry Nickelston Uncovers:
- How he began his personal wellness journey to better health after experiencing numerous health problems including cancer.
- How we can change the perception of the world, ourselves, and what causes us to feel pain.
- What he did to change his environment to help him heal.
- What influenced him to start doing more ground based movements to both heal and grow.
- How he developed his assessment skills to better help patients with their next steps towards healing.
- Why we shouldn’t approach healing a body with the same method because each person lives a different life and has experienced different movements over the course of their lifetime.
- The core pillars of assessing a patient as a chiropractor.
- How we can identify our own barriers so we that we may overcome them.
- The physical signs that someone is under a great amount of stress.
- How to activate our limbic brain and deal with traumatic stress.
- What we can do to become more somatically aware of ourselves.
- How inner stress along with a toxic environment and pollutants can inflame the body.
- Why phones and social media are affecting our energy levels, mindset, and social life for the worse.
- The harm we do to ourselves by making bad habits like eating junk food, drinking too much alcohol, and allowing other external factors to become our new normal.
- What we can do to give our brain what it needs to get enough oxygen to thrive: breathe better, move more, and change your environment.
- Why medicine isn’t a quick fix for all of our illnesses because we’re all different and live in various environments.
- What fermented foods like Kiefer milk can do to dramatically improve our gut health and increase the amount of serotonin in the body.
Power Quotes From The Show
“When I became a chiropractor, I quickly realized that there has to be something more to just helping people fix a problem. I’ve always looked for the reason why people become injured, but more importantly, why they don’t stay well after seeing a therapist. Why don’t these therapies last? That’s when I started looking at movement.” – Perry Nickelston
“You cannot get well in the same environment in which you became ill in the first place.” – Perry Nickelston
“There is an emotional component to every type of chronic illness and pain as well as every barrier in fitness and performance. Sometimes people just get can’t get out of their own way and that’s when they start to beat themselves up about it. So, when you remove that barrier, a person’s life can completely change. They no longer feel the pain and can break through a plateau.” – Perry Nickelston
“When you understand how to read the body, there will be tell-tale signs about their health such as the eyes and the face. People who are under a great amount of stress will have a lot of inflammation. You can see it in the eyes if they’re red and the pupils are wide and locked in fight or flight mode.” – Perry Nickelston
“There’s so much sickness and illness along with autoimmune disorders in the world and it’s only getting worse. Why is this happening? It’s happening because our bodies are becoming inflamed by the world that we live in. That inflammation begins to take a hold of us even when we don’t know it’s there.” – Perry Nickelston
Links From Today’s Show:
- Dr. Perry Nickelston
- Stop Chasing Pain Official Website
- SCP Podcast
- Primal Movements Chain
- Rocktape products
- Rockstock 2018
- Spartan Races
- Gray Cook Movement
- Head Strong by Dave Asprey
- 7 Kefir Benefits and Nutrition Facts that Boost Immunity & Heal the Gut
- Our Top 10 Favorite Kefir Beverages…and One You Can Even Make at Home
- Serotonin Foods and Mood Disorders
- WFR #084 – Dr. David Perlmutter
- WFR #137 – Dr. Tim Brown
About Dr. Perry Nickelston:
Perry Nickelston, DC, NKT, FMS, SFMA, is a Chiropractic Physician with primary focus on Performance Enhancement, Corrective Exercise, and Metabolic Fitness Nutrition and trained fromThe American College of Addictionology and Compulsive Disorders. He is an expert in myofascial, orthopedic, medical and trigger point soft tissue therapy. A member of the Board of Directors and Medical Staff Advisor for AIMLA (American Institute of Medical Laser Application). Dr. Perry teaches healthcare professionals all over the world how to successfully use Class IV Deep Tissue Laser Therapy in alleviating pain. Director of clinical protocols and training for LiteCure Medical Lasers specializing in Myofascial Laser treatments.
Dr. Perry is an expert in movement assessment and diagnosis. Certified and trained as a Functional Movement Specialist (FMS) and Selective Functional Movement Assessment Specialist (SFMA). He uses programs designed to find your source of painful dysfunction and correct it the site of pain improves. A regular columnist for Dynamic Chiropractic, Practice Insights, Chiropractic Economics, To Your Health Magazine, Advance Physical Therapy, PT on the Net, LiveStrong, StrengthCoach, and other industry publications for health and fitness.
At RockTape, we make products that help people move better.
When people move better, they tend to move more.
More human movement is our goal.
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the WFR Community on facebook
- Send Josh Trent a personal message
- Tweet me on Twitter: Send us a fun tweet (or a what’s up)
- Comment on the Facebook page
- Sign up to get an email alert whenever we release a new episode
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
—> Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal: Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don’t miss next week’s show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show on Ketosis? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That’s what I call love!
Write to me and let me know what you’d like to have to get more wellness in your life.