In this episode, Robb Wolf defuses the guilt and morality around changing your eating and lifestyle habits by teaching how to radically change your life using personalized nutrition, the ancestral lifestyle, and loving connected relationships that unlock your best health.
On this special episode of Wellness Force Radio, Robb Wolf, Host of the Paleo Solution Podcast and author of The Paleo Solution, shares about his new book, Wired to Eat, his story of how he overcame his own health issues after struggling for years, and what he’s discovered from decades of research about human nature and finding optimal wellness. Robb’s new book digs into the details of how you can turn off cravings, rewire your appetitie for weight loss, and determine the foods that work for you.
Robb is an expert in the fields of Paleo Nutrition and ancestral health, yet he’s also open about how he believes himself to be in the same health and wellness journey that we all are. The truth is that it can be hard to let go of old weight because we might be afraid to fail again, but Robb is here to with a message of science and experience that there is a solution.
Wired To Eat
Have you or the people close to you ever struggled with cravings or an appetite that can sometimes seem out of control? Have you ever felt anger or frustration about your relationship with food?
You are not alone.
There are millions of people in the country and across the world that feel that exact same way. Listen to episode 103 as Robb Wolf uncovers the scientific reasons why we are all wired to eat and how this modern world and big food system is set up to capitalize on our biology.
Utilizing a 30 day reset and a 7 day carb test, Robb unpacks how this will help determine what amounts and types of carbohydrates your specific body can tolerate. No more guessing, because now we can all find out for ourselves which foods we can and cannot eat, instead of relying on some BS one-size-fits-all frame.
After over 100 shows this goes down as one of Josh’s top 3 most in-depth, authentic, and powerful conversations he’s ever had on Wellness Force and Radio.
Discover how to turn off cravings, rewire your appetite for weight loss, and determine the foods that work for you!
Wired To Eat explains how more willpower and better discipline are not the missing pieces to health and fat loss. Our genetics are working against us in the modern world of super tasty foods. In this new book you will learn about neuroregulation of appetite and how hyperpalatable foods can bypass our built in “off switch”, causing us to eat far more than we otherwise would. The genes that made our ancestors successful are setting us up for troubles today. You will learn how sleep, gut health, stress, exercise and community can work with or against our goals of health and leanness.
With Wired To Eat you’ll embark on a program to rewire your appetite and regain your health. We will start with a 30 Day Reset that will normalize the neuroregulation of appetite and help us not only to eat the right amount, but also begin to appreciate simple but delicious meals. After the 30 Day Reset we will use the 7 Day Carb Test to map what specific carbohydrate foods we do best (and worst) with. This will move us beyond one-size-fits-all dietary dogma and into the modern world of Personalized Nutrition.
Wired To Eat includes over 60 whole-food recipes and includes meal plans for the 30 Day Reset as well as for autoimmune and ketogenic diets.
Wired To Eat Bonuses:
Master The 30 Day Reset
Our Step by Step Guide to Wired to Eat and putting the new principles into practice.
Your Blood Work And You
William Cromwell, MD, Discipline Director, Cardiovascular Disease at LabCorp is an expert in the world of individualized healthcare and interpreting your blood work. In this 1-hour interview, we discuss the ins and outs of what to look for in your blood work and how to interpret your results
Bonus Chapter: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics
What would you have if academia, the government and media all conspired to give us the wrong dietary advice? You’d have Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
THRIVE On The 30 Day Reset
What food should you keep in stock to make it through 30 days of resetting your appetite? Robb has partnered with Thrive Market to offer you a curated list of all your pantry staples at 25-50% off retail, plus a $20 gift card to Thrive Market (available for residents of USA only).
Listen to Episode 103 as Robb Uncovers
- Robb’s response to when people say they do not believe in Paleo and ancestral health: the evidence is there that it works and it’s helping people.
- How Paleo health got its start with just a couple of thousands of people studying and researching it.
- The emotion and story behind Robb writing his upcoming book, Wired to Eat.
- How the human race has evolved in such a way that it’s difficult to eat healthy with our current environment: food to order, a variety of flavors, processed foods etc.
- Why we have a mindset that we can’t be healthy even as we’re watching other people do just that.
- It’s hard to make changes in our lives because we’re afraid to fail or look bad.
- How Robb struggled with his own health and inherited genetics.
- Despite his success as an author and podcast host, Robb has always been able to stay level-headed and stay true to himself.
- What Robb has learned from watching other people in the industry and how he used that point of view as an opportunity to decide how he would present himself to the public.
- How Robb’s mom’s health scare with her gastrointestinal health led to Robb taking a closer look at his own health and adjust his nutrition to follow the Paleo diet.
- Robb’s experience adapting to a Paleo based diet and the success he has had with it.
- How Robb met his wife, Nicki, when he moved to Chico, California and the unknown link their mothers shared by having the same rheumatologists.
- The impact of the death of Nicki’s mother from rheumatoid arthritis and how Robb wishes he could’ve helped her based on what was able to help his mother.
- How Robb’s 30 Day Reset plan can help people take a closer look at their nutrition and improve their lives.
- Robb and Josh dive deep into a conversation about the neuroregulation of appetite and personalized nutrition tools.
- How our modern world has taken away the positive impact of our natural optimum foraging strategy and why we have palate fatigue.
- What we can do to avoid distractions and really focus on what our appetites are telling us: when we’re truly hungry and when we’re full.
- The dessert effect: When we decide to go ahead to eat dessert even though we’ve just polished off a huge meal.
- The normal fed state: what it is and how it varies from person to person depending on several factors such as stress, sleep, genetics etc.
- The idea of calories in and calories out simply doesn’t work. We need to balance our activity and nutrition out. If we’re very active, we need more nutrients, but if we have a low calorie day, we’re naturally less active.
- If we get into an over-fed state, we’re overweight, but our brain cannot sense it because it’s become numb to the feeling of over-eating food.
- How Robb came up with the 30 Day Reset Program in Wired to Eat and why it’s only 30 days: It’s not a long time, but enough time to collect necessary information to help the person see results as far ar their:
- The mission behind the 7 Day Carb Test: it helps people to see the impact that different carbohydrates have on their bodies and minds.
- Robb’s experience with the Ketogenic Diet and what advice he would give to people who follow it or a low-carb diet.
- The blood-glucose monitors that Robb offers on his website and what it can tell you about yourself in accordance with different parameters such as food and sleep.
- Precision Xtra Glucose+Ketone meter
- Dexcom Continuous Glucose monitor
- Are finger pricks really necessary to tell us about our blood-glucose levels? Robb shares how technology is making it easier for us to learn about our bodies and what we can do to modify our daily habits for better health.
- How becoming a parent has helped Robb become more patient with both himself and others.
- What it was like for Robb to write his second book, Wired to Eat and some of the hurdles he had to jump to make sure his voice was heard in the book.
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- What have we got to lose from trying a diet like the Paleo diet? If we’re doing all that we can to help our health, but nothing is helping, simply changing your focus on nutrition could be the solution. Change can be difficult but with Robb’s 30 Day Reset Program and 7 Day Carb Test, we’ll be able to see that making small changes to our diet really isn’t that difficult after all.
- Our modern world has stolen the positive impact of the natural optimum foraging strategy that was passed down to us by our ancestors. This is why we experience palate fatigue after we eat the same processed foods over and over again. The Paleo diet brings us back to that optimum foraging strategy so we can avoid palate fatigue. What our bodies and minds need is a variety of healthy, nutritious foods that can help us function better.
- Our bodies have a gut, health, and brain connection and The 4 Pillars of Health have a great influence over this connection. The 4 Pillars of Health are Sleep, Movement, Community, and Nutrition. Our genetic and environmental factors can either make it easier for us to overeat or if we’re able to balance the 4 Pillars, we can manage our nutrition.
Power Quotes From Robb Wolf
“Eat whole foods, get outside, move a lot, sleep like you are on vacation, and surround yourself with loving relationships.” – @robbwolf
- “If we understand how our world has changed, our genetics are wired for a different world, we can free ourselves of the shame and missed placed morality associated with you and hearing difficulties of change. We can finally stop bleeding ourselves for our inability to lose weight and get healthy.” – Robb Wolf in Wired to Eat
- “We are genetically wired to eat more and move less; it’s no wonder most people fail to achieve health and weight-loss goals.” – Robb Wolf in Wired to Eat
- “The fact that the Paleo diet can be difficult for some people to follow indicates that there is a mismatch between our genetics and our current environment. Everything that made our ancestors successful and everything that brought us to where we are today is the reason why changing our diets can be difficult.” – Robb Wolf on why it’s difficult for people to follow healthy diets like the Paleo diet.
- “We often tell ourselves stories about why we are a certain way. We tell ourselves why we can or cannot change. And the common denominator with most of the stories is fear. Fear of change, failure, or wasting time. This fear sends the logical mind searching for credible reasons why embarking on a new solution seems like a bad idea.” – Robb Wolf in his upcoming book, Wired to Eat about why we let fear get in the way of our goals.
- “It’s not about me, it’s about the mission.” – Lauren Noel on the importance of staying true to yourself while becoming more recognizable in the health and wellness industry.
- “I basically adopted a low-carb, Paleo diet and it was almost as if a switch had been flipped. For the first time in my life, I didn’t have to eat every hour and a half to two hours or face a catastrophic hypoglycemic event. I was completely functional. I felt good, I was leaner than I had ever been in my life, and it was all effortless.” – Robb Wolf on deciding to follow a Paleo diet to improve his health.
- “Eat whole, unprocessed foods, get outside in the sun, move a lot, sleep like you are
on vacation, and surround yourself with loving relationships.” – Robb Wolf in Wired to Eat on how to stay healthy.
- “With a Paleo template, you can still add spaghetti if you want to add it. You can have spaghetti squash and it might be a bit odd for some people at first, but when you add the marinara sauce, it still tastes delicious. It’s the same as normal spaghetti because you don’t even taste the noodles. What you taste is the marinara sauce on top.” – Robb Wolf on how you can eat Paleo foods and still enjoy the meal.
- “Be able to do whatever I want to do with very little preparation or effort within the 4 pillars of health: sleep, nutrition, movement, and community. We need to have a balance of all 4 and if we’re successful, we’ll be able to do a large amount of what we want to do with our lives.” – Rob Wolf on what wellness means to him.
- “People are not swayed into action by information. Most people make changes in behavior due to emotion, not facts and figures. This is not a bad thing; our emotions, coupled with our logical intellect, is what make us human.” – Robb Wolf in Wired to Eat
More About Robb Wolf
Robb Wolf, a former research biochemist is the New York Times Best Selling author of The Paleo Solution ? The Original Human Diet. Robb has transformed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people around the world via his top ranked iTunes podcast, book and seminars.
Robb has functioned as a review editor for the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism and is a consultant for the Naval Special Warfare Resiliency program. He serves on the board of Directors/Advisors for: Specialty Health Inc, Paleo FX, and Paleo Magazine.
Robb is a former California State Powerlifting Champion (565 lb. Squat, 345 lb. Bench, 565 lb. Dead Lift) and a 6-0 amateur kickboxer. He coaches athletes at the highest levels of competition and consults with Olympians and world champions in MMA, motocross, rowing and triathlon. Wolf has provided seminars in nutrition and strength & conditioning to a number of entities including NASA, Naval Special Warfare, the Canadian Light Infantry and the United States Marine Corps.
Robb lives in Reno, Nevada with his wife Nicki and daughters Zoe and Sagan.
Resources Mentioned by Robb & Josh
- Visit Robb Wolf’s Official Website
- A special message from Robb on Wired to Eat
- Pre-order your copy of Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf
- Man vs. Food: Kitchen Sink Challenge
- Read The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- Listen to The Paelo Solution Podcast
- Read Can You Keep Up with Change? by Robb Wolf
- Visit Robb’s blog and read his post, My Training at 45
- Buy one of the blood glucose monitors that Robb recommends
- Read the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
- Check out the Journal of Evolutionary Health
- Learn more about the Specialty Health Medical Clinic in Reno, Nevada
- Find out more about Naval Special Warfare Resiliency Program
- Join the Unbeatable Mind Retreat with Mark Divine
- Listen to the WFR episode 086 with Mark Divine: Creating the Unbeatable Mind
- Discover more about Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- Learn more about Chris Kresser
- Learn more about the Paleo Diet with Art De Vany
- Check out the work of Dr. Loren Cordain on the Paleo Diet
- Visit the Cleveland Clinic for Functional Medicine
- Learn more about the Ketogenic Diet with Dom D’Agostino
- Buy your own Oura Ring
- Learn more about MAPS PTSD
“We need to have a balance of the 4 Pillars of Health. If we’re successful, we’ll be able to do a lot with our lives.” – @robbwolf
Support This Podcast
- Leave a 5 star review on iTunes
- Share this episode with someone you care about
- Contact Wellness Force Radio for podcast sponsorship and partnership opportunities
Rate & Review Wellness Force
Aloha! Josh here. Listen, I deeply value your thoughts, now let your voice be heard. I live to serve the Wellness Force even better based on your words, feedback, and requests. (including how these episodes can allow you to break bad habits)
Thanks To Our Amazing Sponsor
Want to avoid more trips to the store and save hundreds of dollars a year on superfood supplements?
Check out Perfect Supplements.com
Go to perfectsupplements.com/wellnessforce to get your grass-fed collagen from today’s show and sign up for a free membership, plus get 10% off your entire order – just enter promo code “wellnessforce” at checkout.
Ask A Live Question For The Next Episode
Click here to leave a voicemail directly to Josh Trent to be read live on the air.
You May Also Like These Episodes
- Food Freedom Forever With Melissa Hartwig
- Nir Eyal:Breaking Bad Habits, Technology Addiction, & Emotional Triggers
- Healthy, Happy & Harder To Kill w/ Steph Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo
- Beyond Meditation: How To Get A Better Brain With Ariel Garten
- Living A Healthy Lifestyle In A Modern World With Dan Pardi
- Creating A Life Worth Living With Michael Strasner
Get More Wellness In Your Life
- Join the Wellness Force Newsletter: www.wellnessforce.com/news
- Don’t miss next week’s show: Subscribe and stay updated
- Did you like this show? Rate and review Wellness Force on iTunes
You read all the way to the bottom? That’s what I call love!